Diving Coach charged with felony, lesser crimes

By: Cody Boteler, Senior Editor

Diving Coach Maureen Mead was indicted on criminal charges Nov. 23 in connection with an Oct. 16 incident involving a smartphone found recording in the women’s team locker room.

Mead has been charged with “interception of communication,” which is a felony, as well as misdemeanors “peeping Tom” and “altering physical evidence in a criminal proceeding.”

The felony charge carries a penalty of incarceration of up to five years and fines up to $10,000. The misdemeanor charges carry possible penalties of incarceration up to 30 days or up to three years and fines of up to $1,000 and $5,000, respectively.

A statement from the University said that members of the administration were notified of the indictment on the same day.

“The investigation continues regarding other members of the coaching staff, and we will provide more information as it becomes available,” the statement said. “The well-being of our student-athletes remains and will continue to be our top priority.”

According to Marina Cooper, the president’s deputy chief of staff, the Towson University Police Department has been working “closely and collaboratively” with the state’s attorney’s office and decided that part of the investigation was ready to be presented to a grand jury Nov. 18.

Maureen Mead, Head Swim Coach Pat Mead and Assistant Coach Adrienne Phillips are no longer listed as coaching staff on the swimming and diving team’s website.

An Oct. 22 email, obtained through Maryland’s Public Information Act, from Phillips to Pat Mead, said that she would not be able to attend a meeting without her attorneys.

Both of the Meads and Phillips could not be reached for comment. Maureen Mead does not have an attorney listed on online court documents.

Maureen Mead has been on paid administrative leave since the original Oct. 16 incident, according to the University.
Pat Mead was put on paid administrative leave Nov. 17, according to swim team members, who wished to remain anonymous.

Director of Athletics Tim Leonard appointed assistant coach Jake Shrum as acting head coach for the swimming team Nov. 17, according to a statement from the University. The University has not, however, confirmed the employment status of Pat Mead.
According to the same statement, the University hired Tim Perkins as temporary diving coach.

A public relations firm interested in handling the case contacted Leonard soon after the phone was discovered, according to the emails obtained through the Maryland Public Information Act.

Leonard said that central campus was handling communications.

He also said “police have the phone” in an email sent Oct. 18. He promised “swift and decisive action” and said that there should be more facts within a week.

Over five weeks passed between the time when the phone was discovered and the grand jury indictment.

A number of the emails came from concerned parents, expressing frustration and concern about the way that the situation was being handled. In addition, several emails were from members of the team emailing Pat Mead, asking to miss a practice.

While the teams have been updated as the incident has unfolded, no general announcements have been made to the entire student body.

According to the emails, Director of Communications Ray Feldmann told an officer from the Baltimore County Police Department Maureen and Pat and Maureen Mead “have been instructed to have no contact with the team until all the facts are known.”

Cooper replied and said that information was more than the University’s counsel said that “[the University] can release.”
Another message from Cooper said that she “triple checked” with counsel and said that nothing could be said about employment status “until after criminal charge.”

An email from Deputy Director of Athletics Tricia Brandenburg to Pat Mead told Mead that “[the athletic director] wants to make sure that there are always at least two coaches on deck,” and to not talk about the investigation.

From the emails, it appears that Maureen Mead’s laptop was confiscated. In an email to Leonard, Pat Mead said that a managing app the team uses “was on Maureen’s laptop” and indicated they may need to purchase the app for an upcoming meet.

Maureen Mead is being charged in the Baltimore County Circuit Court. No trial dates have yet been set.

The Towerlight will continue to update this story as events unfold.

–Sam Shelton contributed to this article

Leave a Reply


Success! You're on the list.