Losing streak continues: The Big Green defeats the Tigers 20-17

By: Jordan Cope, Sports Editor 

Towson dropped its final non-conference game of the season to Dartmouth 20-17 Saturday, despite recording 470 total yards of offense. 

“They gave us all we could handle,” Head Coach Rob Ambrose said. “We made way too many mistakes and way too many mistakes against a quality football team like that.”

The Tigers (1-5, 0-3 CAA) took a 7-0 lead over the Big Green (3-2, 0-2 IVY) in the middle of the first quarter, when redshirt sophomore quarterback Ellis Knudson found senior wide receiver Christian Summers for a 15-yard touchdown pass.

Both teams played tight defense in the first quarter, but Dartmouth put through a field goal with under three minutes left to make it a 7-3 game going into the second quarter.

Midway through the second quarter, the Big Green scored their first touchdown of the game. The Big Green constructed a 10-play, 57-yard drive that was capped off with a four-yard touchdown run from sophomore running back Vito Penza, to take a 10-7 lead.

Dartmouth extended its lead over Towson later in the second quarter with its second field goal of the afternoon, making it a 13-7 game going into halftime.

In the second half, the Tigers made it a three-point game when freshman kicker Aidan O’Neill put through a 27-yard field goal attempt.

However, the Big Green extended their lead to 20-10 on the ensuing drive thanks to a trick play, where senior running back Abrm McQuarters found sophomore wide receiver Drew Hunnicutt for a 23-yard touchdown pass.

Towson cut the Dartmouth lead to three points with under two minutes remaining in the third quarter when freshman running back Deshaun Wethington capped off a three-play, 11-yard drive with a one-yard rushing touchdown. 

With just under 10 minutes left in the game, Towson drove into field goal range despite starting the drive from its own one-yard line. However, O’Neill’s 22-yard field goal attempt was blocked and the score remained 20-17. The Tigers had one more chance to try to tie the game with 33 seconds left, but a 56-yard field goal attempt from O’Neill was blocked. 

“Without watching the film, the first one I thought was us not getting it done,” Ambrose said. “The second one you knew you were gambling to begin with and it was a matter of the higher percentage for a chance.”

Towson will look to snap a four-game losing streak and pick up its first conference victory of the season Saturday at Johnny Unitas Stadium against rival New Hampshire. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. 

Leave a Reply


Success! You're on the list.