No. 14 Tigers fall to No. 8 Loyola at home

By: Tyler Beard, Staff Writer

A slow start from No. 14 Towson helped in-state rival No. 8 Loyola win 15-11 on Wednesday afternoon at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

Towson (1-1) looked to get revenge from last year’s 20-4 loss against Loyola (2-1), but was hampered by early turnovers and face-off losses.

MLacrosse003-Noyes“We got to shake this one,” Head Coach Shawn Nadelen said. “It’s a tough one because I think a lot of it is on us. Loyola is a good team, I’m not taking anything away from them, but I think we really created our own issues and allowed them to have the opportunities that they did.” 

Towson won the opening face-off, but a quick turnover on the offensive side led to a goal from Loyola within the first minute of the game.

It was one of the few faceoffs the Tigers won, only coming away with 12 of 30 face-offs in the game. The team also committed eight face-off violations.

“Violations are killing us,” Nadelen said. “Possessions are needed when you’re trailing and you need to be able to get that off of the face-off.”

Towson hurt itself with four turnovers in the first seven minutes of the game and Loyola capitalized with an early 4-0 lead.

Sophomore attackman Joe Seider took the Tigers’ first shot of the game and scored to cut the lead to 4-1 with less than seven minutes left in the first quarter.

Seider added his second goal a few minutes later, but Towson trailed Loyola 6-2 at the end of the first quarter.

Junior attackman Spencer Parks scored the first goal of the second quarter for the Tigers. Redshirt senior midfielder Andrew Hodgeson scored while falling down the next possession and the Greyhounds’ lead was cut to two goals.

After a Loyola goal, Seider scored on the next possession and had a hat-trick with eight minutes left in the half.

The Greyhounds led 9-6 at halftime, despite Towson leading in shots, 21-17.

Loyola scored three straight goals and took a 12-6 lead within the first six minutes of the third quarter. The three-goal run prompted Nadelen to switch to sophomore goalie Matt Hoy from senior goalie Tyler White.

“I was anxious about coming in, but was I got the first save under my belt, I started feeling the groove of the game,” Hoy said.

Nadelen said he likes Hoy’s hard work at practice, but refused to name a starter for next week’s game.

Towson didn’t score a goal in the third quarter until Seider added his fourth goal of the game, which tied his career-high. Hodgson scored his second goal on Towson’s next possession.

“I think the offense left a lot out on the field and we just didn’t shoot as well as we can, which I know we can shoot very well,” Seider said.

The Greyhounds took a seven-goal lead, their biggest of the game, midway through the fourth quarter. The Tigers were held scoreless for 15 minutes until Parks scored his third goal of the game.

Towson ended the game on a 3-0 run, but was too far down to make a comeback.

Seider led the team with four goals and Park had three goals and four assists.

The Tigers’ next game is at Georgetown (0-1) on Saturday at noon.

Leave a Reply


Success! You're on the list.